Based on your observations, and reports from Mrs Thomas and care staff, which of the following delirium treatment strategies are most appropriate for Mr Thomas?
Drag and Drop the correct answers to the 'Correct Answers' Box. Correct Answers turn green, wrong answers turn red. Feedback will be given when all the correct answers are submitted.
Objects to move
- employ validation and reality orientation techniques
- allow Mrs Thomas to sit with her husband for as long as possible (including overnight)
- where possible, create a familiar and routine environment
- discourage napping during day time
- prescribe anticholinergic drugs
- provide frequent supervised mobilisation
- provide regular analgesia (paracetamol) if required, but keep drug treatment to a minimum
- provide gentle restraints to keep Mr Thomas safe
- optimise sensory function by ensuring that Mr Thomas has his spectacles
- create a safe and quiet environment
- encourage napping during the day if Mr Thomas is sleepy
- encourage Mr Thomas to move about on his own