The following components of Mr Thomas’ discharge plan need to be considered as part of the family meeting:
- Ensure that he is fit for discharge/transfer
- Ensure that he and his wife understand what has happened
- Discuss the possibility for recurrence of the delirium and what can be done to prevent it.
- Ensure follow up with the remote area nurse.
- Finalise any prescriptions and confirm that Mr Thomas is aware of how to take his medications correctly. Reinforce the importance of completing the full course of antibiotics, even if he starts to feel better.